Friday 16 September 2011

Orange Cupcakes

The Little Kitchen  Orange Cupcakes

I adapted these cupcakes from a Lemon Cake recipe on Fathers' Day this year. I wanted to bake something, but I had already eaten so much food (and since I have no self control) I decided to make something citrus-y so I wouldnt eat it. I personally don't like citrus flavoured food (weird I know) but my family loved them. These cupcakes use both zest and juice to give them an extra flavour boost. I piped orange flavoured buttercream frosting onto the top with a star shaped piping nozzle.

I'm still not great at piping- the cupcakes at the back are...creative
Ingredients:
1/2 cup self-raising flour
125 grams of butter
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup sugar
The juice of half an orange

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees
2. Beat the butter, sugar and zest on medium speed until smooth
3. Add the beaten eggs and flour, alternating between the two
4. Divide the mixture evenly into a patty pan lined cupcake tray
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes

I iced the cupcakes with thick orange frosting, I also added a few drops of food colouring to show the flavour of the icing.

Ingredients:
2 cups icing (confectioners) sugar, sifted
100 grams of butter
juice of half an orange
orange food colour

Method:
1. Soften butter in microwave
2. Add sugar and orange juice and whisk until smooth
3. Add food colour drop by drop until it reaches desired shade

* The consistency of the butter at the beginning will affect how the icing turns out. If the frosting is too runny add some icing sugar, if too thick add some more orange juice or a splash of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment